Tuesday, December 9, 2008

13 Albums That Rocked My Face In 2008



13. What Made Milwaukee Famous, What Doesn't Kill Us

Why do I listen? Because they sound exactly like bands as diverse as Spoon, The Replacements, and The Format, often times within the same song.

Highlights: "Sultan," "Cheap Wine," "For The Birds"

12. The Kills, Midnight Boom

Why do I listen? Because they make me feel like I spend all of my weeknights in New York City dive bars.

Highlights: "Last Day of Magic," Hook and Line," "Sour Cherry"

11. Crystal Castles, Crystal Castles

Why do I listen? Because they let me dance to Atari games.

Highlights: "Alice Practice," "Vanished," "Knights"

10. Why?, Alopecia

Why do I listen? "I'm not a ladies' man I'm a land mine filming my own fake death/Under an '88 Cavalier I go..."

Highlights: "The Vowels Pt. 2," "Good Friday," "Simeon's Dilemma"

9. Rhymefest, Mark Ronson presents Rhymefest: MAN IN THE MIRROR

Why do I listen? Because I miss the black Michael Jackson.

Highlights: "Dancin' Machine," "All That I've Got Is You," "Can't Make It"

8. M83, Saturdays = Youth

Why do I listen? Because they are exactly right for a gray, rainy day in the fall of 1987, which is how Northeast Ohio feels for 9 months out of the year.

Highlights: "We Own The Sky," "Couleurs," "Kim & Jessie"

7. Beck, Modern Guilt

Why do I listen? Because it's the first Beck album since Midnite Vultures that sounds like a Beck album.

Highlights: "Modern Guilt," "Gamma Ray," "Chemtrails"

6. Johnny Foreigner, Waited Up Til It Was Light

Why do I listen? Because I want to karaoke the entire album with my girlfriend.

Highlights: "Salt, Peppa, and Spinderella," "DJs Get Doubts," "Our Bipolar Friends"

5. Kings of Leon , Only By The Night

Why do I listen? Because it makes me want to just keep driving forever when I listen to it on my way home from wherever in the early morning hours.

Highlights: "Sex On Fire," "I Want You," "Revelry"

4. The Black Keys, Attack and Release

Why do I listen? Because it makes me feel like Brad Pitt and Ed Norton walking into Lou's in the movie Fight Club.

Highlights: "I Got Mine," "Strange Times," "Same Old Thing"

3. Phantom Planet, Raise The Dead

Why do I listen? Because every single track is the catchiest song I hear all day.

Highlights: "Dropped," "Leader," "Raise The Dead"

2. The Teenagers, Reality Check

Why do I listen? Because they make me feel like a Euro-trash douchebag who laughs at Americans.

Highlights: "Homecoming," "III," "Love No"

1. Girl Talk, Feed The Animals

Why do I listen? Because they make me feel like the coolest kid at the party.

Highlights: "Here's The Thing," "No Pause," "Still Here"

No comments: