Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Liam Neeson: Father, Mentor, Deceased

I just finished up Fallout 3, which I discussed here, and which also features the voice of Liam Neeson as your character's father. As soon as I recognized the voice, I was crestfallen, for, as you are about to see, this particular bit of casting serves as a tremendous spoiler. If you haven't played the game and plan to or have not figured out where I'm going with this, then, please, read no more. For the rest of you...

Have you ever noticed that Liam Neeson is a bit type-cast? Every movie I see him in, he is a mentor, or a father, or a father-like mentor. More disturbing, however, is that he never makes it to the end credits. My friend Jon pointed this out during Batman Begins, and as you will soon see, he is onto something.

Star Wars: Episode I--The Phantom Menace
Character: Qui-Gon Jinn
Mentors/Fathers: mentors Obi-Wan Kenobi, father figure to Anakin Skywalker
Dies Before Credits?: Yes, fighting Darth Maul



Gangs of New York
Character: "Priest" Vallon
Mentors/Fathers: is Amsterdam Vallon's father
Dies Before Credits?: Yes, in the Battle of the Five Points, at the hands of Bill the Butcher (in fact, I think Vallon meets his end before the opening credits)


Kingdom of Heaven

Character: Godfrey de Ibelin
Mentors/Fathers: is Balian de Ibelin's father
Dies Before Credits?: Yes, of some sort of illness if I remember correctly (video is of Neeson mentoring, not dying. Sorry.)


Batman Begins
Character: Henri Ducard
Mentors/Fathers: mentors Bruce Wayne
Dies Before Credits?: Yes, when Batman leaves him to die on a train





No comments: